Foreword by the DVC: Research, Innovation & Engagements (RIE)- Professor Zodwa Dlamini
Under my leadership: Research, Innovation and Engagements Portfolio (RIE) is largely advancing the Vision of Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT): “To be a pre-eminent higher education institution of technology that fosters socio-economic advancement through the scholarship of teaching and learning, applied research, technology development and transfer and community engagement”.
The portfolio’s drive is on multi-disciplinary, inter-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary collaboration, with emphasis on:
- Conducting applied research directed at addressing social and scientific challenges in national development priority areas
- Promoting and coordinating the implementation of research fellowships.
- Increasing research capacity building and productivity in national priority areas.
RIE aims to:
- Build capacity in research through postgraduate training and carrying out teaching and advisory service for the public.
- To drive a strong research mentorship to up-and-coming researchers within the four institutional Thematic Research Areas (TRAs): Human Settlements, Agriculture and Food Security, Heath and Renewable Energy.
- To create an environment conducive for the creation of spin-out companies for the transfer of technologies into the commercial sector, and for the creation of high value employment for those trained within its units.
- The research agenda is being strengthened, through fostering relations between national government, the private sector, academic institutions and science councils.